Tuesday, July 7, 2015

It's KARL SWANKE days until we get married

Football is an odd sport. So many different things can happen during the course of a single game that when you add up season after season after season, you can find some guys with some pretty odd careers.

Take, for example, Karl Swanke, an otherwise nondescript offensive lineman from the Packers' dark ages in the 1980s. Three unusual incidents highlight his career, one that would otherwise have been more or less lost to history.

First, there's the touchdown catch. It's not entirely unusual to have an offensive lineman head out for an occasional pass route, but it's pretty rare to have them actually score a touchdown. But that's exactly what happened during a game in 1981. From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

"Swanke remembers his shining moment: 'I block, I fall down, then run the other way...Everything was in slow motion, I could see every rotation of the ball as it left [Lynn] Dickey's hand. It was quite a thrill to score, but it went out the window because we lost the game."

Then, there's the time Swanke took out Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor...using some unconventional means. Again from the Journal-Sentinel:

"Color analyst John Madden singled out his play against all-pro linebacker Lawrence Taylor of the New York Giants in the Packers 23-20 victory at Lambeau Field in 1985.

'Madden said veteran linemen will do anything to stop defenders from getting to the quarterback," Swanke said. "I hit Taylor with an open hand to the face, and at that same instant, I kick him in the stomach with the back of my foot (as he's falling).
'Taylor went down like a sack of potatoes. So Madden circles the hand to the face (on the Telestrator). Then he circles the foot to the stomach. I had a real good game, and Madden said I should get the game ball.'"
And finally, there's the rushing attempt. As odd as it is for an offensive lineman to catch a pass, it's still more rare for them to ever carry the ball. But still, there it is: Swanke's official career stats show one carry for zero yards. I don't know how it happened, as it wasn't on a fumble recovery. For all intents and purposes, it looks like Swanke had some kind of honest-to-goodness rushing attempt.
And that's the tale of Karl Swanke.

No comments:

Post a Comment